Thursday, April 10, 2014

Backstage Cafe


I attended THEFACESHOP's Natural Sun Eco Launch at Backstage Cafe last month, and got to meet the owner, Poh Tin, who invited me back for a food tasting session last Thursday!

IMG_7656
The concept behind Backstage Café came about while searching for the perfect place where people can take a moment out of their hectic lifestyles to recharge before resuming their journey of playing their “lead roles” in their daily lives.

At Backstage, we understand the need for people to fall back and relax after every “act or two”. With our high ceiling, warm lightings and spaciousness, every “cast and character” can find their resting
spot within the café and enjoy the quietness and privacy as well as to be lost in their own thoughts and “scripts” of their lives.

Besides providing a place for people to recharge, Backstage Cafe is also open to future aspiring film makers who would like to use the cafe as a location set.

Finally, if you're lucky enough, you might actually spot a few familiar actors/actresses. 

Ambience
IMG_7660
IMG_7659
IMG_7665
IMG_7669
I was told that the management chose not to make full use of the space by placing more seats (even though they very well could) because they want their customers to be able to sit back, relax, and have ample of personal space.

I mentioned before that I really like how spacious Backstage Cafe is, because many cafes nowadays are at best cosy and at worst suffocating - which totally brings out the claustrophobia in me. S hates sitting elbow-to-elbow with someone else from another table as well.

IMG_7663
Local cafes with high ceilings are really not common, so the high ceilings here are a refreshing change!

IMG_7668
IMG_7662
IMG_7664
Look how huge the table is! Fits a group of 8 very comfortably.

IMG_7667
IMG_7661


Food
I tried some of the items from their Set Lunch Special (11am - 2pm), and they each come with a soup and dessert of the day!

IMG_7679
IMG_7680
Mushroom and corn soup, which you can find everywhere - not bad, quite tasty, but nothing special.

Before I went for this food tasting session, I honestly thought that there were gonna be at least a few other people turning up as well. So imagine my surprise when I found out that it was specially arranged for me = I was gonna eat alone = how to try so many things?! :O I was welcomed to bring S along but he couldn't make it... I would've insisted his presence!

Anyway since it was impossible for me to finish all those dishes in its entirety, the chef very kindly prepared something special for me:
IMG_7672
Bite-sized servings of 6 Set Lunch Specials out of the 8! :D Hahaha so cute!

IMG_7678
Linguine Pasta (S$14) || With mushroom and ham, in Alfredo sauce. Some cafes serve cheap, tasteless ham with their pastas, but not this! The saltiness of the ham was the perfect match for the creamy pasta! Love that it's not watery too, but I would imagine getting gelat if I were to have an entire plate to myself.

IMG_7676
Baked Rice (S$16) || Cheesy baked rice with seafood. Soft, fragrant, chewy, and slightly sticky rice topped with generous amount of cheese - what's better?? I don't think the bread is included.

IMG_7677
Smoked Duck (S$14) || This dish is a hit among customers, and it's also one of my favourites! Each slice is thick but not tough at all, with just the right amount of fat. I am not a fan of sweet sauce on my meat, but the slight sweetness of the honey pepper sauce compliments the duck really well!

IMG_7675
Spring Chicken (S$15) || Roasted spring chicken with peach, silver onion, and herb salsa. I thought this was okay~ I mean, all chickens taste about the same without the skin, am I right. But don't worry, the real dish does come with the skin! :D

IMG_7674
Breaded Fish (S$14) || Served with wasabi tartar, accompanied with creamy mash potato and salad. I feel quite apprehensive whenever I see the word wasabi. I don't hate it (I do take a very little amount with my sashimi), but I don't particularly like it either. It's... such a weird, edible thing. So I was pleasantly surprised to find the wasabi tartar quite yummy - sweet with just a hint of wasabi, something different from the usual boring tartar that comes with fish and chips. The breaded fish itself was average.

IMG_7673
Salmon (S$16) || Pan fried salmon with tomatoes caper salsa, another favourite of mine! While I really enjoy both raw (sashimi) and seared (aburi) salmon alike, I don't like it when my salmon is undercooked when it's supposed to be thoroughly cooked. Like steaks, I don't like my salmon overcooked either because it then becomes dry and unappetizing! The salmon here was pan-fried to per-fec-tion. Slightly crisp on the outside, and amazingly soft and juicy on the inside! Also love the salsa on top!

There are also 2 other set lunch specials that I didn't try:
Breaded Chicken (S$15) - Deep fried breaded chicken stuffed with ham and cheese, accompanied with lemon, fries, and tartar sauce.
Ribeye Steak (S$21) - 180g, served with black pepper sauce and fries.

They change their Set Lunch Specials every 1-1.5 months, so hurry down and don't miss out if any of the above appeals to you!

Other regular items on the menu include pastas, burgers, salads, sides, main courses (Mon - Fri, 2pm - 8pm), mini brunch (Mon - Fri, 2pm - 8pm), and desserts.

IMG_7687
Homemade Lava Cake (S$9) || Chocolatey and moist! Finished it even though I was already so full! It was unfortunate that the lava did not flow out when I cut it in half, so no pictures! Feedback was made to the chef though, so it is still worth a try! :)

IMG_7671
Add a scoop of ice cream (Triple Chocolate or French Vanilla) to your dessert for S$2.50. I usually prefer vanilla to chocolate ice cream, but this scoop of Triple Chocolate isn't as simple as it looks. It has chocolate chunks inside that I absolutely love!!! I didn't bother pairing it with my lava cake because this was so good alone!

IMG_7670
So sweet of them to let me try this strawberry compote that only comes with the pancakes! So don't expect it to come with your lava cake! I wiped this clean too because it was so delightful! Perfect combination of sweet and sour, a lot better than the one I tried at Hummerstons.

I picked two dishes to take away for S, courtesy of Poh Tin:
IMG_7655
IMG_7654
And he liked them too! :D

IMG_7657
With Lincoln and Sok Lay, in charge of Marketing and PR.

IMG_7658
Here's Pohtin, owner of Backstage Cafe!

Thank you for having me down! :)

Backstage Cafe
158 Kallang Way
Safekeep Building #01-06 
Singapore 349245

Opening hours: Mon - Sat, 11am - 9pm
Tel: +65 6743 6893



Look of the day:

IMG_7580
IMG_7582
IMG_7578
IMG_7599
IMG_7596
IMG_7594
IMG_7595
IMG_7591
IMG_7690
IMG_7691
IMG_7696
IMG_7684
IMG_7682

Till next time! ;)

4 comments:

Teo JUN KAI said...

Great review, thanks for sharing. Makes me want to visit the place too. There is this map called CafeSG that lets you find all the local cafes in Singapore! Super useful for cafe hopping and to discover new cafes near home and workplace.

http://cafesg.bigspoon.sg/

Hope to see more reviews from you

Kathleen said...

Thank you, will definitely check it out! :)

Nat said...

hi! :) where did you get that top from, its so cute! boston terrier and i have one so i really like that top :)

Kathleen said...

Hello Nat :) That top is from www.hollyhoque.com but I don't think they have it anymore!

There's a similar print one here though: http://www.hollyhoque.com/collections/new-in/products/show-me-the-puppy-shirt

:D