Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Burgers VS Wings / GRUB / Strangers' Reunion / Habitat

Over the past few weeks:

Burgers VS Wings + Bar

To be honest, we had a rather bad dining experience here. I don't know if it's just our luck that we happened to order the wrong stuff, or we had our expectations too high, but we didn't enjoy our dinner at all.

IMG_5872
I thought the beef burger was alright. The patty wasn't exceptionally juicy nor bursting with flavour, but it wasn't tough and dry. S didn't like it though. Then again he doesn't like Shiok Maki because he hates sashimi, so... hahaha.

IMG_5874
IMG_5875
We had the Sampler Trio Wings since we couldn't decide which wings to get. This dish was a disappointment, and totally not worth my money. The Cajun BBQ wings, Wings Wrap, and Jambalaya Wings were nothing special, and the Vietnamese spring roll clearly didn't belong there. More than half of this dish was left untouched because it wasn't appetising.

IMG_5870
IMG_5871
Average fries.

IMG_5869
We also topped up S$7.90 each for their mini taps and dessert buffet. The mac and cheese was probably the best of all. Others were okay, but the cakes were really dry.

I doubt we'll be going back again, but I've read positive reviews about this place so I guess it's really subjective. :/


GRUB

IMG_6035
Mentaiko Fries (S$9) || Topped with mentaiko aioli, nori seaweed. More mentaiko aioli was served at the side, so it isn't as little as it looks. I wiped this dish clean. Anything mentaiko is good, right? S is not exactly a fan of this though.

IMG_6036
Sticky Date Cake (S$8.50) || Served with burnt caramel, french vanilla gelato, toasted almonds.

IMG_6037
Belgium Waffle with Butter, Maple Syrup (S$6.50) || I didn't like it.



Strangers' Reunion

We had been there once, and decided to drop by again since they have expanded their menu! This place is always so crowded!

IMG_6291
Truffles Fries (S$12.90) || With freshly grated truffle, truffled aioli, parmesan, and sea salt flakes. One of the best in town, apart from the one at Chillax! It gets very salty towards the bottom though, but I like it!

IMG_6292
Fluffy Savoury Crêpes (S$12.50 + S$3.50 for sautéed mushrooms + S$4.50 for smoked salmon) || Served with Mozzarella, sour cream, beet root relish, and mixed greens. Omg I only realise it now when I am typing this that we paid so much for this! They were good, but so overpriced for crêpes! Very generous fillings - I don't expect less because the price is :O The beet root relish was refreshing too. Other add-ons include bacon, avocado, parma ham, etc.

IMG_6293
Buttermilk Waffles with Maple Syrup and Fresh Fruit (S$11.90) || I really like the waffles here!



Habitat Coffee

After lunch at Strangers' Reunion, we had dinner at Habitat because it's so near his house and we wanted to try their truffle fries and poutine!

IMG_6294
IMG_6295
Habitat Fusion Longan Tea (S$4.90) and Guava Juice Soda (S$4).

IMG_6296
Hello Truffle (S$8) || Home seasoned truffle fries, dressed with fine grated parmesan. I wouldn't say it was bad, but it paled in comparison to the one at Strangers' Reunion. Maybe too much truffle fries that day!

IMG_6298
Chick Bo || Special sauced spaghetti chicken bolognese.

IMG_6299
Poutine (S$8) || Fries topped with homemade brown gravy and cheese. Yup fries again. 3rd serving of fries on the same day!

IMG_6300
Pulut Hitam Pudding Dessert || Black glutinous rice cake pudding, artisanal fresh coconut ice cream, coconut shavings, and longans. This is the kind of dish I would never see myself ordering: I have never liked black glutinous rice, and I don't see what's so nice about coconuts or its shavings. So when S ordered this I was like Eee, nice meh? ... Errrrr can I take my words back? One of the best desserts I've ever had! Any attempt at describing how perfect this dessert is would come off poorly, so you've got to try it yourself! We even went back a few days ago just to order this ;)

No comments: