Sunday, March 2, 2014

BEIJING: Quanjude Peking Duck / Wangfujing

Finally, the last post on Beijing!

IMG_3251IMG_3252
IMG_3253IMG_3254
In my thermal~

Quanjude Peking Duck
This is supposedly one of the top 10 peking duck restaurants in Beijing, but we seriously doubt it. The duck we had at Dadong a few days before was so much better! S thinks the one at our local Imperial Treasure is the best of all, which I may or may not agree.

IMG_3262
IMG_3268
My hungry man.

IMG_3263
IMG_3264
We didn't have to put these steamed pancakes into our mouth to know that they were bad. They were rather stiff and dry, I think I gave up after a piece.

IMG_3269
We thought the duck here paled in comparison to Dadong's because the most important and prized part of the dish - the skin - really lacked flavour. It tasted like fats and nothing beyond that. Good thing we only ordered half a duck.

IMG_3270
These pancakes with minced meat were also average. The Chinese hawker near where I live does it better.

IMG_3271
Sweet and sour pork, I think.

IMG_3272
Fish was undercooked. :(

After our unsatisfying lunch we went to Wangfujing for what S had been saving the last day for...

IMG_3273IMG_3273
... :/ I don't even know what they were supposed to be. Silk worms??

IMG_3274
So fat and juicy and gross. He kept urging me to try but I refused.

IMG_3275
He actually tried biting it into half initially because he wanted to see the insides, which was a bad idea because 1) it wouldn't tear, and 2) green juice started oozing out. He tried one and threw the rest away. "One is enough," he said.

IMG_3276IMG_3276
IMG_3278
This yogurt drink was everywhere.

IMG_3280IMG_3281
IMG_3282IMG_3282
IMG_3284
IMG_3287IMG_3289
I remember how I felt before I took these pictures off a reflection. It was our last day in Beijing, and I was telling S how sad I was, how I would miss the weather, and how I would miss wearing winter clothes and boots even though it can be such a chore. Have you ever had such a moment when you just stop and tell yourself to take it all in? That was it.

Our last dinner:
IMG_3265
IMG_3266IMG_3266
They look so simple... but tasted so good?!

IMG_3267
Lamb skewers again!

IMG_3299
Hahahaha he was so tired he took a nap at the cafe at our hotel.

IMG_3318IMG_3318
We assumed we were gonna board the plane directly at the gate. We did not expect to have to take a shuttle bus to the plane in a subzero temperature. So look what we wore: a hoodie over a t-shirt, sweatpants, and slippers.

IMG_3319
IMG_3320
And look at what others wore: down jackets and all.

IMG_3321
The people behind us were laughing at us hahahaha.

IMG_3322IMG_3324
IMG_3334
Terrible plane food :( We made a bad decision by choosing seafood curry over duck.

I guess many people have a misconception of China (Where are you going? / China! / Huh, why China?), including me. First thoughts that always came to my mind were dirty streets, polluted air, and dog meat. How poorly informed I was. This trip was an eye-opener, and I can't be happier to have explored a new city with S.

No comments: