Wednesday, January 22, 2014

BEIJING: Panjiayuan (Dirt Market) / Da Dong Roast Duck


I was wondering what the difference between the breakfast provided at the lounge and the one at the communal dining area was, so we decided to check it out:
IMG_1206
We chose a table that was further in because we didn't want to join the crowd.

IMG_1207
Okay so the difference? It wasn't free. Haha, we assumed it was. -_- Anyway both were basically the same, with a few additional dishes that the lounge didn't have, that was all. Not worth our sum of 40SGD++

IMG_1502IMG_1504
The area of skin between my right brow and eye was... coming off (??), which explains the redness.

The night before we flew off to China, I used some dead skin exfoliator product - which I have since decided not to ever touch again - on my entire face. Said area of skin, which has been unexplainably sensitive for a while already, reacted to it so negatively and turned red, and started stinging and flaking.

Since I thought it was just dry skin, I made a terribly huge mistake by applying triple the amount of my usual face moisturizer on it, every single day - which did not help in its recovery at all. It was really red and painful for a few days, and showed no sign of improvement. After every shower, the new skin started to come off too... that was when I realized that maybe I should give it time to dry up naturally, and that was what I did.

The next morning, I woke up to an area of skin that looked like it had suffered a drought. I seriously looked soooo cracked (!!) I am having goosebumps just thinking about it. :/ Applied some soothing and repairing essence that I bought over there, and it started getting better by the day! Phew.


Panjiayuan (Dirt Market)

IMG_1506
IMG_1507
IMG_1509
Something like an antique flea market. Rows and rows of stalls selling more or less the same things. We didn't buy anything though. We couldn't tell the real from the fake anyway.

IMG_1510
IMG_1513
IMG_1514
IMG_1515
IMG_1518IMG_1518
It was especially chilly that day, and our breaths condensed immediately when we exhaled. What do you call it? Smoke? Vapour? Whichever. This was me trying to capture it on camera, which didn't work.

IMG_1520
IMG_1523IMG_1523
IMG_1524
IMG_1525
They look like edible chunks of meat, but they are really just stones.

IMG_1526
IMG_1527
IMG_1532
IMG_1533
IMG_1534
IMG_1535
IMG_1539
Panjiayuan is huge. This is another part of it.

All wrapped up like a dumpling with layers of clothing, and I looked like a sack of potatoes everyday. Using the washroom was a problem, because 1) they were dirty - although not as dirty as I had expected (the ones in the malls were very clean!), and 2) taking off all the layers was too much of a chore. So we drank as little as possible every day when we were out haha, only hydrated ourselves when we were back at the hotel, in the comfort of our own room.

IMG_1537IMG_1538
IMG_1745
IMG_1746
IMG_1747
Went into a random cafe to seek some warmth because it was too cold. This was also where we heard a white man speak mandarin so fluently it puts us to shame.

IMG_1753IMG_1755


Da Dong Roast Duck
IMG_1758
IMG_1760
IMG_1761
IMG_1763
IMG_1764IMG_1765
IMG_1766
IMG_1767
IMG_1768
IMG_1769
IMG_1770
IMG_1771
IMG_1772
What is better than duck? Peking duck!!! :9

IMG_1773
Crispy skin with a good amount of fat! Look at the fattttt! Look at it. So yummy!!! One of the few times I am willing to consume something so sick with such abandon~

IMG_1774
Meatballs.

IMG_1775
Fried rice with mutton and cheese. Looks like a huge, deep bowl, doesn't it?

IMG_1776
Totally fell for it.

IMG_1780
I think this was supposed to be a compulsory dessert that they served us, which we didn't even touch.

IMG_1778
S ordered cotton candy for picture's sake since they were so well-presented, but my poor photography skills did not do it justice, so it's just me and the candy.

IMG_1779IMG_1779
IMG_1781
He ordered this too because of the presentation but apparently it wasn't supposed to be like this.


After the meal, we went back to Wangfujing for a walk:
IMG_1784
IMG_1790IMG_1787
This is the same kind of candy that is used for Tanghulu. I obviously didn't buy it for the taste. I bought it so I could eat the same candy again, in the form of Snow White. Yes.

IMG_1791IMG_1791
Green tea ice cream in winter~

IMG_1792IMG_1793
There was pretty much nothing to do at night. We couldn't possibly go alfresco at a bar. We didn't want to waste time at the malls since they're more or less the same as the ones here. We decided to head back early and go to the gym. Anyway we had planned to work out once during our stay, and that was really the number of times we did - once.

IMG_1795
Too lazy to run, so did some brisk incline walking. :x

IMG_1796IMG_1797


No comments: