Monday, August 1, 2011

Show me the world that's inside your head

tumblr_lom7undWhW1qe49wpo1_500

Psychology never fails to fascinate me. In summer 1, I really enjoyed taking Clinical Psychology, and I thought that it must be the most interesting branch of psychology ever. Until I started on Biopsychology in summer 2.

The visual system, the auditory system, the olfactory system, different regions of the brain and their various functions, etc etc etc. There are so many processes and connections going on inside our bodies that we don't know anything of. These are the little things that can't be seen with the naked eye but are capable of making life-changing impacts. It's quite scary actually. You hear of stroke, Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease. They look so distant and you think that it's not gonna happen to you. But life is ever so unpredictable, isn't it?

And then I think of beauty. I think of money. I think of what we have materialistically. Are these superficial things worth anything more than what we have inside (literally)? Are these things even comparable?

We take so much for granted. I don't know if I'm weird but every time I study biopsych, I have this urge to feel what I read. I make a sudden turn with my head and I think, oh my CSF just reduced the shock to my CNS. I smell something with my left nostril and I think, this sensation is perceived by my left brain now. I feel my heart beat and think, this is what it feels like to be alive.

It's made me realise how fortunate most of us are, to be born with healthy systems. And then we just have to go out there and destroy it; we drink till we throw up we smoke a pack everyday we starve ourselves to look "good".

It's also made me realise what an ignoramus I am. There are so many things that I have absolutely zero knowledge of. I'm learning everyday and I'm happy.

No comments: