Friday, August 19, 2011

Drown in information, starve for knowledge.

IMG_2190IMG_2191
IMG_2192IMG_2193
IMG_2194IMG_2196
IMG_2197IMG_2199
IMG_2200IMG_2201
IMG_2202IMG_2203

My stack of handwritten notes for 15 chapters (excluding Vision; it was typed out) of biopsych is approximately 2.5cm thick. I lost count of the number of pens and foolscap pads that I used up in just 6 weeks. I like to look at notes I have painstakingly made over the years and indulge in reminiscence of the laborious yet gratifying process of learning. It pleases me.

Some time last year I chanced upon a TED video of Sir Ken Robinson on how schools kill creativity and I thought it was impressive. Recently I watched another TED video of spoken word poet Sarah Kay ("If I should have a daughter...") and I thought it was beautiful. I couldn't sleep the night before, so I began this TED video marathon which consisted of the following videos:


Sir Ken Robinson: Bring on the learning revolution!
Jill Bolte Taylor's stroke of insight
Oliver Sacks: What hallucination reveals about our minds
Aditi Shankardass: A second opinion on learning disorders
David Blaine: How I held my breath for 17 min
Eric Mead: The magic of the placebo
Arthur Benjamin does "Mathemagic"
Keith Barry does brain magic
Michael Shermer on strange beliefs
Al Seckel says our brains are mis-wired
Ed Boyden: A light switch for neurons
Elliot Krane: The mystery of chronic pain
Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi on flow
Elizabeth Gilbert on nurturing creativity
Mary Roach: 10 things you didn't know about orgasm
Lewis Pugh's mind-shifting Everest swim
Rebecca Saxe: How we read each other's minds

Inspiring and entertaining. I'm pretty moved.

No comments: