Monday, June 27, 2011

What's stopping you?

My saturday started of with M breakfast, followed by 9 to 10 hours spent in school for group work.

IMG_1858
IMG_1920
IMG_1922
IMG_1931
IMG_1902
IMG_1906
IMG_1909
IMG_1913
IMG_1914
IMG_1915
IMG_1883
IMG_1880
IMG_1862
IMG_1865
IMG_1891
IMG_1934
IMG_1935
IMG_1937


I spent the day on my notes for Clinical Child Psychology. One of the most interesting chapters, in my opinion. Have you ever enjoyed reading a book so much that once you stop, you almost can't differentiate reality from the world in that very book? The emotional and mental involvement was so great that it felt weird to be in the here-and-now after I was done. Csikszentmihalyi's state of flow?

The part on autistic disorder left me feeling a little sad. I thought of the Asperger's syndrome that was pretty clearly illustrated in House Rules by Jodi Picoult, and realized both disorders sound alike but they aren't exactly the same. And I'm glad I've read it because I've gained a little more understanding about Asperger's, through its manifestation in one of the characters. One thing I love about her books is that she always talks about real issues, and it always feels as though I know the characters in person.

I thought of so many things. I wonder what goes through the mind of someone with autism. I wonder if they are aware. I wonder how they feel about not being able to fully develop necessary communication skills, among some other things that we often take for granted. And every time I come across something like this I wish I could help, and they leave me hungry for a deeper understanding.

I don't want to contribute in little ways; I want to make a significant difference, but that's just being too ambitious right now. Things like this hit me hard every single time and they always stay in my head for some time before being aborted, just so they could come back again.


The opportunity to study what you have an interest in is really, such a privilege.

No comments: